There are so many snacks available. But among them, choosing the healthy one is tricky. You can select organic walnuts as a healthy snack.
MyOrganic Bd Team, consisting of Nutritionists and professionals, shared our experience and wisdom about the facts of organic walnuts.
In this article, We share everything about Organic walnuts. How it works in your body, and the evidence-backed health benefits. It’s Nutrition facts and possible side effects.
The walnut is a tree nut with a rough, hard shell. The inner part looks like a tiny brain with a sweet taste. The walnut is the most widely-consumed nut in the world and has been consumed for over 8,000 years.
History of walnuts:
Walnuts have an excellent history dating back thousands of years. They were the oldest tree food known to man. The Romans called the nuts “Jupiter’s royal acorn.” From history, it is clear that English walnuts originated in ancient Persia and were reserved for royalty. Thus, the walnut is known as the “Persian Walnut.” These nuts were traded along the Silk Road route between Asia and the Middle East. Caravans carried it and then spread the popularity of walnut consumption worldwide. English merchants transported the product for trade to ports worldwide, and it became known as “English Walnuts”. The outer shell provides a natural layer that gives protection to the nut and helps to maintain the quality of the nut. Today, the California walnut is well known as the top-quality walnut in the world.
Health benefits from organic walnuts:
- Rich in antioxidants: Walnuts are an excellent source of antioxidants like vitamin E, melatonin, and polyphenols. The skin of walnuts is rich in polyphenols. The antioxidants help to reduce the aging process and oxidative stress. Organic walnuts help in decreasing free radicals also. Thus, cancer-producing cells can be minimized.
- Heart health: Organic walnuts promote the level of HDL cholesterol and reduce LDL cholesterol. Thus, walnuts keep the heart healthy. It also cleans your arteries and reduces stroke.
- Excellent source of omega-3 fatty acid: Organic walnuts are a great source of omega-3 fatty acid. In one ounce, almost 2.5 gm of omega-3 fatty acid is present. The consumption of alpha-linolenic acid also promotes brain health, fights disease, and fights autoimmune disease. Autoimmune disease is when the immune system mistakenly attacks the healthy cell of the human body.
- Healthy gastrointestinal tract: The gastrointestinal part of the body requires microbes. The microbes enhance in the gut through the consumption of walnuts. If beneficial microbes are absent, then obesity, cancer, and the digestive problem may occur.
- Cancer prevention: Organic walnut is rich in polyphenol. Intestinal microbes can convert these to compounds called urolithins. and these compounds can have anti-inflammatory properties in your intestine, which may be one way that eating walnuts help protect against colorectal cancer. Urolithin’s anti-inflammatory actions could also help protect against other cancers. Moreover, urolithins have hormone-like properties that enable them to block hormone receptors in your body. This may help reduce your risk of breast and prostate cancers.
- Control type 2 diabetes: The nutrient content in walnuts makes it preventive to control diabetes. Walnuts help build insulin resistance, control blood glucose levels and lower the risk of developing Type-2 diabetes. Organic walnut is also rich in dietary fibers, and this fiber ensures the slow release of sugar in the bloodstream. The glycemic index of walnuts is lower than 55, and the amount is meager. For this issue, diabetes is controlled.
- Decrease inflammation: Omega -3 fatty acids, magnesium, and amino acid present in walnut decrease inflammation and ensure proper health.
- Cognitive performance development: Organic walnut has a significant role in learning skills, memory, and overall cognitive performance. Walnuts ensure better brain function and flexibility of memory. It reduces depression and anxiety.
- Boost Bone Health: Copper and phosphorus content in organic walnuts. They are essential for bone health. Calcium absorption increase by walnuts and also helps in bone mineralization.
Nutritional analysis of organic walnuts:
According to USDA, One cup (30 grams) of organic walnuts contains the nutrients
- Energy: 200 calories
- Carbohydrate: 3.89 grams
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fat: 20 g
- Calcium: 20 milligrams
- Iron: 0.72 mg
Walnuts are also an excellent source of manganese, copper, magnesium, and vitamin B6. Walnuts also contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats are perfect for heart health. The whole combination of nutrients makes walnuts a healthful snack.
Ways to consume walnuts:
- In fruit salad: Organic walnuts can add to salad as a very nutritious and delicious ingredient. It can add as a whole or by breaking into small pieces. If the salad is leafy, then you can put it on top while serving.
- Food items: Walnuts can add to wraps, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, or any other food to give crunchiness to the food. Moreover, you can add to your sauce while taking fast food.
- Smoothie or any drink: Walnuts can blend into the glass or smoothie that can consume as a daily habit.
- Addition to main meal item: Walnuts can add to multigrain bread or millet loaves. You can also have it with oatmeal. While you are serving pasta, you can add walnuts which will increase the nutritional value of pasta.
Moreover, you can add the paste of walnuts to the gravies of fish or chicken. Also, you can add vegetables.
If you are using walnuts for sin or hair, you can make a scrub after crushing. Also, you can make oil from walnuts.
Time to consume organic almonds:
Consumption is recommended in the early morning to get the best benefits from organic walnut. It can take as a snack also. Consumption of organic walnuts between meals prevents you from overeating. Thus, you can save yourself from obesity. Moreover, you can have feeling full through nuts consumption. But don’t take much of it before sleep because it will become dense in the fat in your body.
How to store organic walnuts?
Organic walnuts must store in an airtight container to get the highest shelf life. It can be refrigerated for long time preservation. One more thing about walnut is that the outer shell inhibits the air from coming closer to the walnuts. When this shell is broken, the shelf life of organic walnut is decreased. So, you must store walnuts with shells and without air conditioning for a longer shelf time.
Possible Side effects of organic walnuts:
Organic walnuts are beneficial for the physiological function of the body. But depending on dosage, the health benefits don’t work. The appropriate dosage is 4-6 pcs per day for organic walnuts and is recommended for adults.
- Organic walnuts contain an anti-nutrient named phytate. This phytate is an antioxidant and works like an anti-nutrient. It hinders the absorption of minerals like calcium, zinc, magnesium, etc. People who consume nuts regularly may suffer from a mineral deficiency in the long run. However, this applies to people already suffering from mineral deficiency.
- Digestive problems: Organic walnuts contain too much fiber content, which can create diarrhea, bloating, or stomach pain. It weakens gastrointestinal health by affecting the microbes.
- Kidney stones: Too much oxalate in walnuts is responsible for kidney stones. For this reason, a moderate number of nuts should consume.
- Allergic reaction: While consumption of nuts, it is essential to be careful with people with plant allergies. More organic walnuts can cause shortness of breath, nausea, swallowing difficulty, and rash on the skin.
- Obesity: Walnuts facilitate weight loss. But excessive consumption led to weight gain due to the high density of calories in walnuts.
Roasted Vs. raw Walnut:
Mainly two types of organic walnuts. They are: roasted and raw. Roasting is done to improve the texture. Also, roasted nuts have lower moisture content, giving them a crunchy texture. Sometimes salt is added for taste purposes. Unsalted walnuts are also available.
The fat and protein content is higher in roasted nuts than in raw. For this reason, it is meant as a calorie-dense food. Again, roasted walnuts have some terrible impact on the quality of nuts. High temperatures and long cooking times affect the polyunsaturated fats to produce free radicals. Roasting might create rancid fat that is harmful to the human body. Another problem of roasting is that the shelf life of walnuts changes due to oxidation.
The temperature affects the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals present in walnut. As the antioxidant is involved, it will affect the overall nutritional quality of Walnuts. Low-temperature roasting is the only way to prevent this problem.
In one sentence, Raw Organic walnut is better than roasted in healthy perspective.
( Expert Tips : The nutritional profile of organic walnut is so rich. This superfood is great for health specilly Bran health! You should take organic walnuts everyday.)
How do you remove pesticides from walnuts?
Answer: The three ways to remove pesticides:
- Soak in salted water: The nuts can be cleaned using sea salt or any other salt for 20-25 minutes. 10-15% salt water solution is effective for removing pesticide residues. Firstly, the nuts need to be rinsed with water; afterward, add salt.
- Bicarbonate of soda use: For cleaning nuts, one teaspoon of a compound must be added to 2 cups of water and soaked for 15 minutes. Then rinsing needs to do.
- Soaking in vinegar: The nuts need to soak in vinegar and then in water for 20-25 minutes. The ratio of vinegar and water is 1:4. So 10 ml of vinegar needs to be mixed with 40 ml of water.
Are walnuts a superfood?
Yes, walnuts are a superfood. They have a rich nutritional profile: carbohydrates, protein, fat, fiber, calcium, and iron. The walnuts’ nutrients help keep organs like the heart, brain, bone, and intestine healthy. It increases the body’s immune system and prevents disease. Daily consumption of walnut reduces stress and anxiety also.
Are organic walnuts better than regular walnuts?
Yes, organic walnuts are better than regular nuts. In standard nuts, there are lots of chemicals and pesticides used to prevent insects and pests. When the nuts are produced traditionally, then it is a must to contaminate with insects and pests. Then the residue of chemicals and pesticides will present in the nuts. These will go to in our body and hampers the immune system. But organic walnuts are free from these compounds. So, it is evident that organic walnuts are better.
Wrapup : Organic Walnuts
Already, you know enough to start your healthy organic journey! Hope you loved to know the amazing fact of this superfood. Keep reading to know more about other organic foods & Nuts. Buy Organic walnuts from Amazon.
Research & Content : Team MyOrganic Bd
Content Review : Ismoth jahan
Medical Review : Dr Goutom Banik