Health Benefits of Organic Food
Organic food production does not involve the use of chemical fertilizers, chemical pesticides, or chemical preservatives. Organic food is prepared and processed without using any chemicals. Hence, organic food is highly beneficial to health. Here are few benefits of organic food:
Organic crops are produced without the use of synthetic pesticides, bioengineered genes (GMOs), petroleum-based fertilizers, and sewage sludge-based fertilizers. Hence, organic foods are good for human health.
Organic farming practices reduce pollution, conserve water, reduce soil erosion, increase soil fertility, and use less energy. Organic farming is also beneficial for the birds and animals as well as people who live near the farm.
Organic milk and meat: Organic milk has more antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, CLA, and vitamins than non-organic milk. According to the researcher’s organic milk is healthier than non-organic milk, since organic cows are pasture grazed which results in the better quality of milk. Organically raised animals require more space to move around access to the outdoors which is why organic meat is very healthy.
Better for health: The University of California, Davis, conducted a 10-year study on organic tomatoes. The research revealed that organic tomatoes has more antioxidants, such as quercetin (79% higher) and kaempferol (97% higher). Antioxidants reduce heart disease and reduce the chances of developing cancer.
Organic Food for Healthy Lifestyle
Today’s health conscious customers are concerned about the source of their foods. They want foods that do not contain harmful chemicals. For this reason, organic food has become one of the staple elements of a healthy lifestyle. Organic foods are grown without using chemicals, hormones, antibiotics or genetically modified organisms. Organic food must be free of artificial food additives. This food excludes artificial sweeteners, preservatives, coloring and flavoring. Organic crops require natural fertilizers. Animals raised organically are also not given chemical ingredients or hormones. By eating organic food on a regular basis, we can control diseases like diabetes, hyper tension, Cancer etc. Here are some more health benefits of organic foods-
- Antioxidant levels in organic plants can be up to 69% higher than in non-organic plants. Antioxidant help protect cell damage. Another research also found that antioxidants develop our immune system, growth and reproduction. Several lab studies found that higher antioxidant content helps to protect cells from damage.
- Organic food to lowers risk of allergies and eczema in children and infants.
- Some research found that organic foods have higher levels of important micronutrients in including Vitamin C, Zinc and Iron.
- A European study published in the British journal of nutrition in 2016 revealed that organic milk and meat contains about 50 percent more beneficial omega-3 fatty than conventionally produced milk and meat. Omega-3 is linked to reductions in cardiovascular disease, improve neurological development and function.
Environmental Benefits of Organic Farming:
- Organic farming tends to improve soil quality and helps to preserve ground water. It also reduces pollution.
- Organic crops have lower levels of nitrate than conventional crops. some studies suggesting nitrate levels are 30 percent lower.
- Organic farming helpful also nearby birds and animals well as people who live close to farms.