Chia seeds are always full of nutrients. If the seeds are organic, then the value increases more. The fantastic facts about certified organic chia seeds will drive you to make it a part of your daily food habit.
We, MyOrganic Bd Team, shared our experience and wisdom about the facts of organic Chia seeds. Organic chia seeds will change your body, and the benefits will blow your mind.
In this article, We will share everything you should know about certified Organic chia seeds. Its benefits, nutrition facts, uses, and a few unique recipes make you healthy!
What are certified organic chia seeds?
Chia seeds come from the flowering plant (Salvia hispanica). The organic chia seeds are in two forms: black and white. Certified organic chia seed is pesticide-free, chemical fertilizer-free, and gluten-free. It has a rich nutritional profile containing high minerals, high fiber, healthy fatty acids, and many antioxidants.
Nutritional facts of organic chia seeds:
1) Carbohydrate: The carbohydrate takes a large part of chia seeds. Though the value is high, the most part is in fiber form. In 100gm of chia seeds, there is 46g of carbohydrate (According to USDA).
2) Protein: The protein content is higher in organic chia seeds. In 100gm of chia seeds, there is 17g of protein (According to USDA). The amount is increased than any other cereals. Moreover, organic chia seeds contain all essential amino acids. For this reason, chia seeds are the source of complete protein and high-quality plant protein.
3) Fat: The fat content is higher in organic chia seeds. In 100gm of chia seeds, there is 31g of fat (According to USDA). The fat is mainly omega-3 fatty acid that is very good for the body. According to WHO, a daily 1.1-1.6gm omega-3 fatty acid is required for the body. So, if anybody regularly takes chia seeds, this requirement can quickly fill up. Moreover, the ratio of omega-3 fatty acid to omega-6 ratio (omega-3:omega6=1:4) is ideally maintained in organic chia seeds.
4) Vitamin: Organic chia seeds contain vitamin C and Vitamin B (B1, B2, and B3)
5) Mineral: Organic chia seeds contain high calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Moreover, they also have iron, sodium, zinc, and copper in minor amounts.
6) Fiber: Organic chia seeds are a great source of fiber. Both soluble and insoluble fiber is present in organic chia seeds. But the insoluble fiber amount is higher than the amount of soluble fiber. Almost 7g of soluble and 33g of insoluble fiber are present in 100gm of organic chia seeds. These fibers play a significant role in the body.
7) Antioxidant: Organic chia seeds have more antioxidants than regular chia seeds. They have chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, myricetin, quercetin, and kaempferol. These antioxidants have several effects on body.
Benefits of Organic Chia seeds:
1) Heart health: Organic chia seeds are perfect for heart health due to their antioxidants. Quercetin is rich in chia seeds and reduces atherosclerosis and heart failure. It supports the cardiovascular system by lowering blood pressure. The antioxidants also help reduce the aging process, fight free radicals, and assist cells from damage. Most importantly, organic chia seeds save people from cancer through these antioxidants.
Moreover, the balanced ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid in organic chia seeds is perfect for heart health.
2) Bone health: As chia seeds have a high amount of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, they help strengthen bones and increase bone density. These minerals help in bone mineralization, red blood cell production, and skeletal muscle production.
3) Diabetes reduction: The high fiber content help to reduce blood glucose level, lowering insulin reduction. Thus organic chia seed help in maintaining blood sugar levels. If diabetic people eat bread with chia seeds, the sugar level remains normal rather than increasing. Chia seeds can be added to diabetic people in yogurt, oatmeal, cracker, etc.
4) Weight loss: Chia seeds soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol and slow digestion. Also, the fiber gives a feeling of fullness, and thus, it reduces weight gain.
5) Constipation reduction: The insoluble fiber of organic chia seeds helps to reduce constipation. Chia seeds absorb a lot of water, and after that, they make a gel like consistency. Through this process, they soften the stool and quickly pass.
6) Lowering blood pressure: The omega-3 fatty acid of chia seeds helps to reduce blood pressure. Also, the antioxidant quercetin aids this process. So, people with high blood pressure and hypertension should take organic chia seeds.
How to use organic chia seeds?
Organic chia seeds are taken as whole or ground, though the nutritional effect will be identical. But the fact is, if it is accepted as gelatinous form, it is easy to absorb. For this reason, it is suggested to consume chia seeds with liquid. This liquid will help to make gel-like consistency. Chia seeds require 30 minutes to 1 hour to get the gel-like form.
For any beginner, consuming a small number of organic chia seeds is better. The amount can increase when they are used to the seeds. Chia seeds can add to your daily smoothies, yogurt, cereal, baked goods, soups, stews, pudding, salad, etc. It is an alternative to eggs due to its high protein content.
It is suggested to consume two tablespoons of chia seeds daily to fulfill the requirement.
4 Simple recipes for you that are easy to prepare:
1) Crackers with chia seeds:
Ingredients: Almond flour, hemp hearts, chia seeds, salt.
Procedure: Firstly, chia seeds need to soak in water for 30 minutes to have a gel like consistency.
Then, almond flour, hemp hearts, and salt mix together. Addition of chia seeds with the flour mixture. Then the dough will bake for 30-40 minutes at 1900 degrees C (Preheating must do). When the crackers are brown and crispy, then it is finished. After that, the crackers need cooling.
2) Cake with chia seeds:
Ingredients: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 0.5 tsp. Baking powder, salt to taste, 3/4 cup butter, 0.5 cup sugar, one large egg, 1.5 tbsp. Lemon juice, 0.5 cup plain, Greek-style yogurt, 2 tbsp. chia seeds
Procedure: First, Preheating the oven to 1800 C. Flour, baking powder, and salt must be whacked in a bowl. In another bowl, butter and sugar must be mixed until fluffy texture. Then, egg and lemon juice will add.
Then yogurt and chia seeds add with half of the flour. The batter pours into the pan, and baking takes 40-45 minutes. Cooling is done for about 15 minutes. Thus, it’s ready to serve.
3) Chia drink:
Ingredients: 1 cup cold water, 3 Tbsp. Chia seeds, 1 cup juice (Available for any fruit), 1 tsp. Maple syrup.
Procedure: Firstly, water and chia seeds add to a bottle, and it requires time for a gel like structure. Meanwhile, stirring is done so that the clump doesn’t form. Then, any juice and maple syrup need to add with chia seeds. Thus, the drink is prepared. It is straightforward to get maximum health benefits from chia seeds.
4) Chia pudding (chocolate):
Ingredients: 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder, 2-4 Tbsp. Maple syrup, one pinch of sea salt, 3/4 tsp. Vanilla extract, 1 cup Almond milk, 3/4 cup chia seeds
Procedure: First, cocoa powder, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla extract must be whisked. After that, chia seeds with milk need to mix (soaking chia seeds in milk). It requires 2-4 hours (in the refrigerator) to get the pudding texture.
Then with desired toppings, the pudding can serve.
Organic Chia seeds vs. chia seeds:
Chia seeds contain a lot of nutrition, which is why it is suggested to take them daily. The protein, fiber, and antioxidants give it a rich nutritional profile. But if the chia seeds are inorganic, then pesticides and synthetic fertilizers also come with protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Thus, the benefits may become zero. Moreover, genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are also present in inorganic chia seeds. Does anybody want these all harmful substances?
So, it’s vital to consume organic chia seeds. The nutrient content increases more in organic ones.
Possible Side effects of organic chia seeds:
There is a very rare case of side effects of Chia seeds. Theya are :
1) Difficulty in swallowing: As chia seeds require liquid for soaking, dry ones may cause difficulty in swallowing. It may create choking in individuals.
2) Increase Risk of Prostate cancer ! There is a controversial attitude towards the effect of omega-3 fatty acid content in chia seeds. Some evidence shows that prostate cancer can result from too much chia seeds. There is no clear evidence for this fact.
3) Allergic reaction: People who are allergic to plant compounds also have an allergy to chia seeds. Overeating chia seeds can create vomiting, itching, nausea, bloating and gas in those people.
4) Interactions with medications: As chia seeds reduce blood pressure, it works as a blood thinner. So, sometimes it interacts with drugs (given for high blood pressure). Diabetic people need to be careful also.
(Expert Tips : Excess amounts of any good food can become harmful. For this reason, it is suggested to take moderate consumption of organic chia seeds.)
Though chia seeds are a great source of protein, they are not suggested for children. The reason is that it has a high fiber content and helps children reduce weight. So, chia seeds can recommend as another source of protein, not as the sole source.
Organic chia seeds and sustainability:
They are always sustainable due to the following reasons:
1) As chia seeds are a plant source, they require less water than the animal. It is environmentally friendly. All plant compounds are similar to this.
2) Chia seed plants consume more carbon from the environment. It cleans up the surroundings like other trees. So, it creates a positive effect on climate.
3) Organic chia seeds do not affect the environment. Except for the seeds, the plant can be an excellent fuel source for the future world. So, every part of a tree is necessary. No wastage comes from organic chia seeds.
The above facts ensure that organic chia seeds are sustainable in the upcoming days due to their friendly nature to the environment.
Summary: Organic chia
Organic chia seeds are very nutritious, and at the same time, they are easy to prepare. They can incorporate into the daily meal in various ways. The most important fact is the sustainability of organic chia seeds is high in this global era. So, You should think sustainability. Buy organic chia seeds from Amazon.
Research & Content : Team MyOrganic Bd
Content Review : Ismoth jahan
Medical Review : Dr Goutom Banik