Nuts are a crunchy, nutritious, and fantastic food—people of all ages like different varieties of nuts. The daily habit of confusing nuts fulfills the stomach and give satisfaction. Some nuts include almonds, walnuts, cashew nuts, pistachio, etc. Here you can learn amazing facts about having organic cashew nuts.
We, MyOrganic Bd Team, shared our experience and wisdom about the facts of organic cashew nuts with great nutritional value.
In this article, We will help you understand the evidence backed health benefits, interesting facts of organic cashew nuts as a beginner. Then, it will be clear why you should consume it daily.
What is Organic Cashew nuts?
The cashew nut is a seed that comes from the cashew apple. The tree produces fleshy, pear-shaped cashew apples. But this is not the fruit. The fruit is smaller than what grows underneath the cashew apple. It is kidney-shaped. Inside the fruit, the seed is present. The seed is covered with an outer shell. But the shell is toxic. For this, the seed is only consumed after removing the shell. They are structurally similar to legumes like peanuts.
When we get the cashew nuts from cultivation to final product in an organic way, obtain USDA organic certification. We can claim it is organic. Becoming organic, producer need to follow stringent guide lines. The organic certification assures certain quality for the products. It also very helpful for sustainability.
The history behind the nuts:
The cashew was first invented in Brazil. It was thought the cashew shells were inedible at first because, after consumption, they cause irritation. Then after so many years, it has been clear that only the skin is irritating, not the shell. They used the pulp of cashew. Then they found the seeds inside the body were tasty. Thus, in Europe, the nuts have become popular.
In the recent era, the Portuguese brought these cashews to India around 1560. Indian people found the healing properties of nuts, and then the nuts became so popular. From India, cashews have spread to Asia and Africa.
Organic cashew nuts and sustainability:
Organic cashew nuts are always more sustainable than regular cashew nuts due to the following reasons:
1) As organic cashew nuts are plant sources, they require lower water than the animal. It is environmentally friendly.
2) Cashew nut plants consume more carbon from the environment. It cleans up the surroundings like other trees. So, it creates a positive effect on the environment.
3) Organic cashew nuts do not affect the environment. Except for the seeds from the cashew apple, the plant can be an excellent fuel source for the future world. So, every part of the tree is necessary. There is no waste that comes from organic cashew nuts except the toxin shell.
The above facts ensure that organic cashew nuts are sustainable in the upcoming days due to their friendly nature to the environment.
Why you need Organic Cashew nuts? Benefits
- Blood sugar maintenance: Organic cashew nut is marked as low glycemic food. When estimating the sugar impact on blood, the serving size of food is referred to as glycemic load. Food with a glycemic index lower than 10 is suitable for diabetic people. For this issue, the organic cashew nut is very beneficial for people for lowering blood sugar. Type-2 diabetes patients may get benefit from organic cashew nuts. They aid in insulin control. for this reason, they are good for diabetic people.
- Supports weight control: The nutritional composition of cashew nuts may help you to feel full and lose weight. It will satisfy you and reduces the habit of frequent food consumption. But you should be careful while taking organic cashew nuts because of their calorie content.
- Lower cholesterol content: The healthy protein, fat, and fiber content of organic cashew nuts help to reduce LDL cholesterol. One handful of organic cashew nuts is enough to give you daylong energy, reduces your hunger, and give you feeling full. Organic cashew nuts also help increase HDL cholesterol, which is required for heart health.
- Lower the risk of gallstones: Consumption of nuts reduces the incidence of gallstones in men and women. It is due to their bioactive compounds, mainly fiber, mineral, and fatty acid profiles.
- Healthy heart: Organic cashew nuts provide the fiber that is environment friendly. This keeps the association with a healthy heart. Moderation of nuts consumption is a must. Cashew nuts have both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. These fats boost the health of the heart. So, the cardiovascular disease rate is reduced, especially in physically vulnerable people.
- Prevention to copper deficient diet: Copper is vital for muscle and bone health. The maximum amount of copper is located in muscle and skeleton. People who live on a plant-based diet may risk copper deficiency. For those people, organic cashew nuts are in the top position for food sources of copper. The nuts are gluten-free, also.
- Reduces anxiety: Cashew nut play a vital role in reducing stress, nervousness and improves the brain health. Moreover, the nuts help in increasing sleep due to its rich nutritional profile.
Nutrients in organic cashew nuts:
Cashews are rich in a lot of nutrients. One ounce of organic cashew nuts means 28 grams. This amount of cashew nut provides the following nutrients:
- Energy: 157 calories
- Protein: 6 grams
- Fat: 12grams
- Carbs: 10 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Sodium: 3.4 milligrams
- Potassium: 187.1 milligrams
- Copper: 0.6 milligrams
- Magnesium: 82.9 milligrams
- Manganese: 0.5 milligrams
- Iron: 1.9 milligrams
- Vitamin B6: 0.1 milligrams
- Zinc: 1.64 milligrams
Organic cashew nut is mainly rich in unsaturated fatty acids, which is highly recommended for the human body. They are also low in carbohydrates, and among this, fiber is high. The nutrients are present in raw and unsalted cashew nuts.
Moreover, the organic cashew nut is an excellent source of copper for healthy brain development. Also, the cashew nut is rich in magnesium and manganese, which are essential for bone health.
How many cashew nuts need to take per day?
Organic cashew nut has multiple nutritional benefits. They are packed with nutrients and have healthy fat and protein. To get the highest benefit,15-18 cashew nuts per day is enough. More than that can create side effects like gastrointestinal problems, weight gain, headaches, etc.
Time to consume organic cashew nuts:
Nuts are suggested to consume in the later part of the day. They can take it as a snack. Organic cashew nut is the best if you are looking for something nutritious. They will give you energy and also provide you with healthy fat and protein. They will boost you for the rest of the day.
How to store organic cashew nuts?
Organic cashew nuts should store in an airtight container. Refrigeration helps to save from spoilage for six months to one year. Spoilage may occur at room temperature.
Possible Side effects of consuming cashew nuts:
- Allergic reaction: Too many organic cashew nuts can cause an allergic reaction. These allergic reactions include irritation, skin rashes, swelling of the skin, etc. Moreover, digestive problems like bloating, gas, constipation, and bowel problems may occur.
- Drug interactions: Organic cashew nuts are an excellent source of magnesium. This magnesium regulates body temperature and keeps teeth and bones healthy. But this magnesium interacts with antibiotics like ciprofloxacin. This drug binds with magnesium and prevents adequate absorption.
- Weight gain: Consumption of more than one ounce of cashew nuts per day is very high. This adds extra weight to the body due to the calorie and fat content of the body.
Raw vs. roasted cashew nuts: which one you will prefer?
Raw and roasted cashews are excellent choices for getting nutritional benefits. They can be low in sugar, depending on how they are roasted for the second time. They also contain antioxidants. They both can promote heart health and reduce gallstone risk.
Raw cashews have more iron and selenium than roasted cashews. According to flavor, raw cashews have a mild, buttery flavor, which makes them raw cashews to use in cooking. Roasted cashews have a nutty flavor and are used in snacks and desserts. Raw cashews have longer shelf life than roasted cashews. The oil used in the roasting process enhances the rancidity in nuts.
So, for daily consumption, you can choose any cashews. The acceptance completely varies based on personal preference.
( Expert Tips : Organic cashew nut is a rich source to provide your daily nutrients as snacks. People with high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and other physiologically vulnerable people should be careful while consuming cashew nuts. )
Do cashews have omega-3 fatty acids?
Yes, cashews have high omega-3 fatty acids and low omega-6 fatty acids. The omega-3 fatty acid is responsible for brain development and memory power. But omega -6 induces inflammation in the body. For this reason, omega -3 containing food is suggested to consume. But careful attention should give regarding the omega-06 content.
Which nuts contain the most zinc?
Cashew nuts contain the most zinc. It has higher zinc than any other nuts. It is a significant mineral for the body. Zinc helps your immune system function and also your metabolism function. It has healing properties of tissues. It helps in the growth of cells. It soothes sunburn also.
Which nuts have the most arsenic?
Unprocessed nuts have the most arsenic. But cashew nut has mainly cyanide, not arsenic. Arsenic (III) is found in unprocessed nuts; other forms of arsenic present a lower amount. But the amount is meager. Proper processing reduces the risk of arsenic. For this reason, roasting and salting have been applied to nuts.
Which nuts are toxic?
Raw cashews could be toxic due to the presence of urushiol. It is an allergic compound. This urushiol creates an allergic reaction in the body. Rashes, irritation, nausea, vomiting, and digestive problems may occur due to the consumption of raw cashew nuts. For this issue, you can have it roasted. The risk factor reduces.
Are cashews a superfood?
Yes, cashew nuts are a superfood. They contain vitamins like vitamin B6 and minerals like copper, magnesium, zinc, manganese, sodium, potassium, etc. All compounds make it a superfood. It has so many physiological functions in the body. It helps diabetic patients, lowers cholesterol, and is suitable for gallstones, bone health, and heart health.
Are cashew nuts good for your liver?
Yes, cashew nuts are suitable for the liver. The liver is responsible for removing toxins from the body. And cashew nut helps the liver in the process. It has Vitamin E, unsaturated fatty acids, and fiber. These help in eliminating bad cholesterol and keeping the liver healthy. Cashew nuts are very beneficial in improving good cholesterol.
Are cashew nuts inflammatory?
No, cashew nuts are not inflammatory. They have omega-3 fatty acid, which reduces the inflammation in the body by producing anti-inflammatory molecules. It fights free radicals and so prevents disease. For this reason, the cashew nut is recommended to avoid inflammation.
Wrap up : Organic cashew Nuts
Already we covered the special benefits, facts of organic cashew nuts with brief history. It’s a superfood with great nutrients. Keep reading our blogs to know more about healthy organic foods. Buy organic cashew nuts from Amazon.
Mr. Shariful Alam Pavel believes in natural living. To live a healthy conscious living, we need to eat green, live green. MyOrganic Bd is a green wellbeing brand, educating millions to live a better life with mother nature.