The usefulness of whole wheat :
Bread is the most popular food to Bengali after rice. This bread is very nutritious that contains carbohydrates. But it depends whether you are having white bread or red bread.
Whole wheat comes from wheat. Red whole wheat is extracted from crushing the wheat with the shell. This is called an unrefined whole wheat. The refined whole wheat is produced by crushing the wheat without the shell.
Today most of the people prefer white whole wheat to red whole wheat. Whitish bread is a common appearance in the dining table & taken by mass people. On the other hand red whole wheat, is more likely undesired & avoided by most of the people. It is maybe for its brownish color.
But is this perception is only for color or associated with our conscious?
The rising of this question is very natural. Let’s see the nutritional differences between these two kinds of whole wheat.
Wheat has three layers. The most upper layer is called bun. It contains minerals & antioxidants. It is found fully in red whole wheat but white whole wheat doesn’t contain it at all. The 2nd layer is known as endosperm indicating the middle part of the wheat. After crushing the 1st layer this one is seen. The most inner layer is germ or shoot. This portion contains vitamin, protein & mineral.
The refined whole wheat only contains endosperm. It doesn’t have any notable vitamin. Red wholewheat contains those three nutritional components.
In every 100gm of red whole wheat contains 80% calorie, 0.5gm fat, 15gm carbohydrate, 3gm fiber, Ogm sugar, 4gm protein.
In white whole wheat, it has 70% calorie, 75gm fat, 12gm carbohydrate, 2gm fiber,1.5gm sugar & 3gm protein. So red bread is more nutritious than white bread.
Red whole wheat also contains 69gm manganese, 15gm phosphorus, 14gm thiamine, 12gm magnesium, 9gm copper & zinc 75gm. For the refining process, whole wheat loses almost half of the nutrition value.
Some Useful points of Red whole wheat :
1. Heart disease possibilities are reduced eating regular red whole wheat.
2. In 2016 research done by review analyzed showed that 22% of heart disease possibilities get reduced having red bread regular.
3. Additional eating habits will be controlled by eating red bread as its fiber control appetite for a long period.
4. It is especially very useful for the diabetes patient. Extra sugar in white whole wheat is detrimental to patient health whereas red whole wheat doesn’t contain it much.
5. People who intended to reduce their weight can include this red whole wheat to their food chart.
6. Vitamin B complex let your body be strong. It also develops the metabolism system. It reduces cholesterol level & controls it.
7. It reduces the cancer possibilities by the presence of lignin, an anti-cancer agent.
8. Red whole wheat pieces of bread control the amount of carbohydrate in the blood thus it takes care of diabetes patients.
So It can be said that red whole wheat is so helpful for our healthy life. Now the decision is yours whether white or red whole wheat you are going to eat.